Applying for Business Licenses
Churchill County Code requires a person, firm, corporation, or association that engages in any business, trade, calling, industry, occupation, or profession in the county to obtain the necessary licenses and permits.
Please contact our office prior to conducting business to verify that the proposed business is permitted in the zoning district in which the property is located.
For free assistance to start a small business, contact the Churchill Economic Development Authority (CEDA) at (775)423-8587 to make an appointment.
Before Filing An Application
Please consider the following:
- Property location (Where is your office?):
- If your office will be in the city limits of Fallon, you will need a City license first. Go to 55 W. Williams Avenue or call the City Clerk at (775) 423-5104. Any work performed in Churchill County, outside the city limits of Fallon, would be subject to licensing requirements for the county. Contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department to discuss your business activities.
- If your office is located outside Churchill County, you must first be properly licensed in that jurisdiction, and then any work performed in Churchill County, outside the city limits of Fallon, would be subject to licensing requirement for the county. Contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department to discuss your business activities.
- If your office will be located in Churchill County, your property must be zoned correctly for the proposed use. Contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department for zoning and business license questions.
- Home-based (residential zoning) businesses in the county, outside of the city limits of Fallon, require a Home Business Permit that runs with the business license. Please contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department to discuss your business activities.
- Register with the Secretary of State on SilverFlume (please contact CEDA at 775-423-8587 for assistance) and comply with all state requirements (PDF) as well as local regulations related to your type of operation. Proof of compliance will be required (i.e., health permit, pest control permit, contractor’s license, workers compensation insurance, Nevada tax permit, etc.).
- Contact the Building Department at (775)428-0264 and the Fire Marshal at (775)423-0665 to discuss permitting and inspections for business locations in Churchill County.
- If a liquor license (PDF), peddler’s permit (PDF), or a work card (PDF) for locksmith and safe mechanic businesses (PDF) is required, please apply with the Sheriff’s Department after you have obtained your county business license. Please allow at least three weeks for these licenses. Locksmith & safe mechanics are licensed through the Sheriff where they reside.
- Roadside Vendors please contact the Public Works, Planning & Zoning Department regarding restrictions and licensing. All vendors must sign an affidavit (PDF), set up on commercial property, and have permission from property/business owner. Vendors are NOT allowed in the roadways and easements.
Please contact our office if you have any questions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL WORK PERFORMED IN THE COUNTY WILL REQUIRE A CHURCHILL COUNTY BUSINESS LICENSE.